linkshomeblogaboutshopsponsor

Friday, February 28, 2014

quotes and characters | LHBP

"I tell thee, proud Templar, that not in thy fiercest battles hast thou displayed more of thy vaunted courage than has been shown by woman when called upon to suffer by affection or duty."
― Sir Walter Scott, Ivanhoe


“I take it that “gentleman” is a term that only describes a person in his relation to others; but when we speak of him as “a man” , we consider him not merely with regard to his fellow men, but in relation to himself, - to life – to time – to eternity. A cast-away lonely as Robinson Crusoe- a prisoner immured in a dungeon for life – nay, even a saint in Patmos, has his endurance, his strength, his faith, best described by being spoken of as “a man”. I am rather weary of this word “ gentlemanly” which seems to me to be often inappropriately used, and often too with such exaggerated distortion of meaning, while the full simplicity of the noun “man”, and the adjective “manly” are unacknowledged.”
― Elizabeth Gaskell, North and South
“If Mr. Thornton was a fool in the morning, as he assured himself at least twenty times he was, he did not grow much wiser in that afternoon. All that he gained in return for his sixpenny omnibus ride, was a more vivid conviction that there never was, never could be, any one like Margaret; that she did not love him and never would; but that she — no! nor the whole world — should never hinder him from loving her.”
― Elizabeth Gaskell, North and South


"Come, I like that. Give me a wise man of science in love... No one beats him for folly!"
--Mr. Gibson, Wives and Daughters
"I won't say she was silly, but one of us was silly, and it wasn't me."
--Squire Hamley, Wives and Daughters


“Now, when their glances met, they understood one another. The power that lay within both their souls had met, and, as it were, clasped hands. They accepted one another's sacrifice. Hers, mayhap, was the more complete of the two, because for her his absence would mean weary waiting, the dull heartache so terrible to bear.”
― Baroness Emmuska Orczy, The Laughing Caviler


"Butter is a divinity"
--Amy March, Little Women


“I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice


  "I never travel without my diary.  One should always have something sensational to read in the train."
—Gwendolyn Fairfax, The Importance of Being Earnest



“A heart well worth winning, and well won. A heart that, once won, goes through fire and water for the winner, and never changes, and is never daunted.” 
― Charles Dickens, Our Mutual Friend


"May I ask whether these pleasing attentions proceed from the impulse of the moment, or are the result of previous study?"
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice


"Now I must give one smirk, and then we may be rational again."
― Henry Tilney, Northanger Abbey


Above, some favorite quotes from beloved classics.  Below, some ridiculously fun character quizzes in honor of the last day of the 2014 LHBP!


Marguerite here.


This quiz brought to you by Blakeney Manor.
Find out:
Which Scarlet Pimpernel character are you?



I am Elizabeth Bennet.




Which Scarlet Pimpernel and Austen character did you score?  
What's a favorite period drama quote of yours?  
Do share in the comments!

8 comments:

  1. I'm The Scarlet Pimpernel and Elinor Dashwood. Or was the last time I took the quizzes. :-) I'm not quite satisfied with either of them, because the questions and answers are a bit obvious... which is often the case with character quizzes.

    I can't think of a quote, especially because there's the whole language mix-up; except for that bit in The Importance of Being Eernest - thanks for reminding me - where Lady Bracknell complains about having to travel by a freight train. That's because of the incomparable performance the theatre group at my Grammar School put up, and the incomparable Lady Bracknell that my sister's friend made, especially at that point. :)
    This now made me look it up at Project Gutenberg (our copy is left behind in the school flat at the moment), and now I'm laughing at so many bits again. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. And cannot find the passage with the freight train. Now I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, man! I really need to read North and South again! (and watch it, of course!)
    I took the Austen Heroine quiz and I got Elinor Dashwood. I thought that it was pretty spot on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these. I know I have taken them before, but sometimes my answers change. I still got the Scarlet Pimpernel (I would love to know all the possibilities besides Chauvelin and Marguerite), and Marianne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I am Anne Elliot. Really?? Those questions seemed to pigeon hole you with half of it being possible and the other half not at all applicable. Anyone else find that happening?

    Love the photos and quotes for the last day of the LHBP! Especially the first photo=D!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post! I joined in with a similar post here:
    http://simpledelights-samantha.blogspot.com/2014/02/but-daniel-purposed-in-his-heart-that.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am Catherine Morland from Northanger Abbey and Lady Blakeney! This should be an interesting combination ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am Catherine Morland from Northanger Abbey and Lady Blakeney! This should be an interesting combination ;)

    ReplyDelete

You're about to make my day! Thanks so much for leaving a comment - I absolutely love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...