linkshomeblogaboutshopsponsor

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Today was rather lovely.

I took these pictures alone with the self timer for the first time - and now appreciate my genius photographer sister more than ever!  What you don't see is the camera propped up on a lawn chair balancing on the back step of my brother's house... I now feel the need to challenge myself with more practice in the field of self portraits.  Either that, or never go anywhere without Ellen.  That would be fine with me, too.
The lilacs are blooming.  In the middle of May.  It's surreal.  And rather lovely.

The grass is lush and the young leaves everywhere are vibrant with my favorite of all colors.  This is my brother's backyard - I'm having a sort of vacation in Sandpoint for a few days, and rather lovely things are happing all over the place.

I've been exploring the town on foot, and it's the most fabulous thing.  All of you who live in town will have to imagine how incredibly fun it was for me to walk to the post office to mail some orders I brought with me, then swing by the library (filmmaking, Audrey Hepburn, and Hamlet!), then stroll past the bed and breakfast to photograph the flowers, saunter down Main street to look at hats in shop windows, then decide to wander through the old neighborhood district and wave to people pulling out their lawnmowers for the first outing of the year and simply take picture of things besides trees and trees and... trees.

I bought a car on Tuesday.  At last, at last.  This is going to entail enormous changes in my life, on the blog, and for my business.  I am completely in awe at how quickly it all came together after months of waiting, fraud, mega stress, and a Police case number.  It's a long, long story that I might share sometime.

For now, I'm incredibly thankful, blessed, and at peace.  The most carefree I've been in a long time.

.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.

I discovered the dynamic duo of my new serger and knits the other day, and this outfit was the result.  I'm in love with knits.  I can't believe I've never sewn with knits before.  I might make my wedding dress out of a knit someday.

Maybe not.  But they're still awesome.

knit high-low ruffle skirt // made by me
knit floral cardigan // made by me
ruffle tee // thrifted  -  sunnies // thrifted
ballet flats // Crocs
canvas floral tote // made by me

26 comments:

  1. Lilacs are perfect. ;)

    And I LOVE the cardi!!! Okay, I'm totally going to try sewing with knits, now. I am.

    Yesterday was rather lovely, too...especially our rather sleepy hammock conversations. :smile:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... Lilacs. Just right. :grin:

      Mmm, you really should! It's so fun!
      It was indeed. Loved that.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful day! I know how challenging self-portraits can be. You should consider getting a remote, 'cause it makes it much easier! I'm not really a fan of high-low skirts, but the one you made is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking into getting one - perhaps sometime. It's been a fun challenge though!
      Thanks so much! Same here - I was curious to see if I would like wearing the high-low style, because I've not really seen many I liked the looks of. Happily, I love this one! ;)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful pictures. Your brother has a pretty yard.

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. Self timer can be kinda stressful and look weird if someone is watching. :D

    Iris♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... you're so right:) It's a good exercise in bravery for me:D

      Delete
  5. You did pretty well, considering you had to snap and pose, too. It's hard to press that timer and then run to pose as naturally as possible before the camera shoots. lol In any case, you look lovely and so does it all. Your brother has a gorgeous yard. Very nice, Kellie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't have lilacs in Florida and I wish I could smell their lovely scent in person. I hear they are so lovely! Congratulations on your new car!!! Fabulous KFD skirts now on wheels! Speaking of skirts, your new high low skirt is adorable. And your knit top is just the right perk of color and style. Very cute duo!! The self portraits came out quite well and offer you another way to get a quick fashion shot for your blogging. Looking forward to walking the streets of Sand Point in July; especially the yard with the lilacs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so sad you don't have lilacs down there! I've never seen an orange blossom, though, and I hear they are truly heavenly.

      Absolutely! The yard with the lilacs will be waiting!

      Delete
  7. How glorious! What a stunning backdrop for reading and enjoying the spring air. You wear your lovely outfit well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, wow! The lilacs are gorgeous! They also happen to be my favorite flower EVER...and they've already bloomed two months ago hear and are now gone until a possible second bloom in August. Thank you for the glimpse, although I had to imagine the heavenly smell! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilacs and peonies have to tie for my absolute favorite flower. Goodness! We usually have to wait till the end of May/early June for our lilacs... that's wonderful:)

      Delete
  9. Your skirt is beautiful! I love your whole outfit. You did a lovely job using the self timer...that is something I've had to adjust to as well. I loved having my little sisters to photograph me. I shall have to re-enlist them this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurrah for sisters! They really make the best photographers... it's so easy to be yourself in front of them, too:)

      Delete
  10. Oh Kellie! You make me so homesick. Your pictures of the lilacs are brilliant as they are lovely. I can smell them ;-) (The very first picture was excellent, but the way) When we're going to see you guys next I don't know, but hopefully it will not be too long.

    Blessings!
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, excited to hear from you, Libby! Thanks so much:)
      I can't wait!

      Delete
  11. I love this whole outfit--that skirt is pure perfection! And those flowers simply speak of spring.(: and you did a pretty wonderful job taking photos of yourself! I am pretty hopeless at it myself, so thank goodness for sisters!

    Also, congrats on your new car!

    ~Vicki

    Decked Out in Ruffles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki! I'm thinking the new car means perhaps we'll finally get to meet! I'd love that!

      Delete
  12. So when do you usually get your lilacs? Around here, they legendarily bloomed just as WW2 ended, but in the lowlands and warmer parts, they often come at the end of April. This year, with the long winter, they actually did come around May 8th, which was rather unusual! Ours is still blooming (flowers falling now), but then our garden is very shady.

    I'm still avoiding knits myself, but that's mostly a leftover fear from my old machine which was very unpredictable around them; Ema sewed up a T-shirt knit wonderfully. You don't need a serger to sew them! Though I guess it helps. Your rose print knit is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The end of May/early June is lilac time. They always bloom much earlier in town to the south, though.

      Delete
  13. Loverly lilacs! They're all over our area, and they're so gorgeous!

    Alas, I haven't your courage to tackle knits, nor the equipment. Congrats on your achievements--they're tes chic, as usual. ;-)

    Enjoy your little vacation...and hurrah! for your new car! Awesome!

    God bless,
    ~"Tom"~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Hoping to talk with you tonight... :grin:

      Delete

You're about to make my day! Thanks so much for leaving a comment - I absolutely love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...